Pumpkin Soup with Basil pesto and sundried tomato

Tunuk Tunuk Bhopla (a rhyme in marathi) comes to my mind whenever I come across the huge Pumpkin in the market. Average weight of an entire pumpkin would be around 5-9 Kg but I heard the largest grown pumpkin is of 34 Kgs.
Imagine the amount of people that could be fed with one pumkin. In our traditional cooking I never saw major variations in the style of cooking a pumpkin vegetable. It was always the simplest vegetable with minimal ingredients to make an apetizing meal.
Over the years I came across many interesting ways of cooking it.





Pumpkin Soup
This was created especially keeping in mind my toddlers growing demands but surprisingly it turned out to be a very special rich soup with creamy texture.
Ingredients
1/4 kg pumkin peeled, cored and chopped (deseeded - dont discard the seeds ever!)
1/4 kg Sweet potato/potato
3 cups of vegetable stock / water
2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
1/2 tspn cumin powder
1/2 tspn coriander powder
1/2 tspn chilly powder
1 tspn sour cream / hung yogurt
1/2 tspn lemon juice
1 tspn Basil Pesto
salt to taste
Oil for cooking
Method
1) Boil/steam pumpkin and sweet potato cubes until they are well cooked. Mash them to form a smooth pulp.
2) In a saucepan, heat some oil. Add the pumpkin mixture along with stock, salt and all other dry spice powders.
3) Add the crushed garlic and let it simmer until the flavors come together.
4) Add the sour cream and stir well.
5) Take it off the heat and add some lemon juice (skip this for kids). Garnish with corainder and serve with toast. I serve it at this stage to my son.
6) Now add the basil pesto and stir well.
7) Garnish with sundried tomato.

 You can also add the roasted pumpkin seeds for garinishing

I garnished my soup for DH with sundried tomato .

Comments

Vardhini said…
Interesting recipe with pumpkin and pesto. Thanks for linking dear.

Vardhini
Event: Halloween Fiesta

Popular Posts