Patole (Dumplings baked in turmeric leaves)

When I picked Ganesh Chaturthi special theme for Blogging marathon, little did I expect myself making patoles. As a kid I tasted in only once or twice but hated the taste of near pungent turmeric leaves killing the sweetness of what I wanted  in  my flat modaks.
However, when my ever bankable Mrs. K told me that she has a small turmeric tree in her compound, she compelled me to try the recipe.
She said, they never taste pungent infact it lends a sweet floral taste. She was indeed right about it. The thing I noticed is that she discasrded all the bigger leaves and used the smaller tender one's maybe that helped.


Ingredients
8-10 turneric leaves
1 cup rice flour
1 cup water
a pinch of salt
for filling
1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
3 tbsp jaggery
1 tspn sugar
a pinch of cardamom powder
Method
1) Prepare the filling by mising the ingredients and heating in a pan until it comes together and looks glossy.
2) Set aside the filling to cool
3) In another pan, heat the wayer with the salt. When it comes to a running boil, add the rice flour. Stir once and cover the pan.
4) After a minute, remove the lid and take the vessel off the flame.
5) Now in a large basin, take the  dough and knead it using little water to form a soft pliable dough.
6) Take small balls and roll it out on the turmeric leave (grease it if they are sticking to the dough)
7) Spoon the filling on the top and simply folder over
8) Steam these prepared leaves for 12-15 min.
9) Remove, pull apatrt the leaves gently, serve with hot ghee on top.

Comments

Unknown said…
that is so new to me... Turmeric leaves used in cooking.. that must be so aromatic

Sowmya

Ongoing Event - Coconut

Ongoing Event - Healthy Foods for Healthy Kids - Combo Meals
Unknown said…
yummy kozhukattai...
Priya Suresh said…
Turmeric leaves will gives a wonderful flavour to this dumplings na, fabulous patole.
Anisha said…
In Kerala we call this "ada" and usually its made in plantain leaves or bay leaves. Knowing that turmeric leaves can be used for these is great. I have a few turmeric plants growing here I could give this a try.
wow turmeric leaves used to be cooking!!! it will be so aromatic and lovely dumplings dear...

VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
Turmeric leaves in cooking..!!wonderful and those modaks look so divine and attractive with those incisions on them.
Anonymous said…
I've had a similar Mallu dish called Ada. It is steamed in banana leaves though. Would love to try with turmeric leaves flavour
Jayanthi said…
Lovely Pradnya....love modaks of any form and shape. Cooking in turmeric leaves is totally new to me...need to try it, the next time I get hold of these leaves.
Padmajha said…
I have seen people cooking with other leaves .This is the first one with turmeric leaves. Thanks for sharing a great recipe...
Padmajha said…
I have seen people cooking with other leaves .This is the first one with turmeric leaves. Thanks for sharing a great recipe...
divyagcp said…
This is new to me.. But looks interesting and inviting..

Divya's Culinary Journey
Srivalli said…
I didn't even know you get those turmeric leaves on regular basis..let alone using it like that!..those we steam this differently, this way it sounds even more exciting!
Chef Mireille said…
no turmeric leaves here. Guess I could use banana leaves?

Popular Posts